Friday, October 16, 2009

Volleyball Once More

After you leave college, playing team sports is logistically annoying mostly impractical. But now that I’m back in the school environment the opportunity has again arisen: the PE teacher sent an open invitation for us to help with the inter-school volleyball tournament. I was giddy with excitement as I volunteered to keep score and track the substitutions. I didn’t realize it was actually a stressful role. And I also didn’t realize how much volleyball has changed – yes it has been 10 years since I played competitively! That means that there is now a libero where there wasn’t one before and rally-point is standard. It makes me feel old for a sport to change so much. But the PE teacher asked me to help coach next year, which is an exciting idea, whether I do it or continue on as score keeper, I don't know yet.