Monday, February 4, 2008

Arrival for One

While my wife is working and acclimating to a new country, I’m still “stuck” in London. Yes, it is a great city to be stuck in; but I would much rather be experiencing life with my wife right now! However, my papers have been approved and are within days of finalization, which means I'll be departing next week...we're keeping optimistic!

Here are the highlights from her first week (the pictures are from an on-line conversation...yes, she does have high-speed internet!):

1. I'm here! After all the waiting and hoop-jumping, I actually have a job and an apartment, and a new country.
2. I was met at the airport by an Arabic band ensemble, complete with drums, cymbals and their own-styled bagpipes! Well, it wasn't there to meet me, per se - rather someone famous or a long-lost brother coming home. But it was loud and impressive.
3. Our apartment is HUGE! Well, it would be compared to the studio we were in before. We have a lounge with a sofa, loveseat and two easy chairs; a dining room with two tables - one for eating, and one for a desk; a spare bedroom with a twin bed, dresser, wardrobe and bedside table; a bathroom with long bath, shower and washing machine (!), a kitchen with cooker and fridge/freezer; two balconies; and a master bedroom with a king-sized bed - Wooohooo!

4. At our local bakery, I found pita bread daily cooked fresh and hot out of the clay oven!
5. Locally, there is freshly-grown basil, parsley, spinach, eggplant and red oranges (and more!) – all available at the vegetable market at superbly low prices.
6. My classroom is on the third floor of the school building where I get a great view of the town - and lots of natural light.
7. The school has a gym for the staff where I use the elliptical and rowing machines (the treadmill is “temporarily” broken).
8. I'm now stocked up with all the couscous, cumin, garlic, dried chickpeas and tahini that I need for some fabulous eating.
9. The school cafeteria sells freshly squeezed red orange juice…and crepes.
10. I'm glad I brought slippers, fuzzy socks and fleece with me because it's really cold here in the mornings - especially with marble floors.
11. I go to school every day at 7:20 am (ouch!) for staff briefing. Well, not a celebratory highlight - but a definite fact of my day – one that I am still getting used to!