Friday, March 21, 2008

Hairy Situation

American women have long been known to snub their noses at the grooming tendencies of women who don’t shave their legs or armpits. Well, what goes around comes around…

I was listening to a friend discuss cultural changes here whereby unmarried girls are now permitted to attend to grooming practices that used to be reserved for married women. Here, my friend made an example out of the removal of arm hair – forearm hair – and exclaimed, “Well, it’s only hygienic!”

So, American women are one-uped by Arab women here who remove all bodily hair as a part of their hygienic (and cosmetic) endeavors.

As for me, it’s just now getting to be uncomfortably warm some days. All my shirts come to at least below the elbow. That leaves me about four inches of unshorn skin on each arm. However, that doesn’t account for all-women get-togethers and parties where it’s common to wear sleeveless dresses. Hmmmm…I’m still chewing this over. But, before I go for a body wax, I think I’ll get a wider sampling of my friends’ opinions!