Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lunch Bunch

A coworker invited me over for lunch at her house. She picked me up at 12pm, but only lives about 5 minutes drive away. We first went for a tour around town, and she showed me her favorite shops, gave me a tour of her alma mater, and posed for a picture with me in a photo studio.
We returned home and lounged in the salon. Reception rooms are lined with these foam couches. Guests recline comfortably here [...why do "we" use chairs! I much prefer this style, maybe especailly because my legs are too short for most chairs]. I briefly met the father/husband, who proclaimed I was welcome with his family - making me feel very welcome and happy.
To reenergize us, we were served mango nectar (juice) and chocolate bonbons. Shortly afterward, it was tea-time, involving a portable gas burner to brew the 'red' tea, a tea pot and a metal jug. In the picture you can see me attempting to froth the tea. They do this by pouring the hot tea back and forth between the teapot and the jug, creating foam that they pour into the small glass tas cups. You know you've done it well when you can turn the cup unpside down and no foam comes out of the cup. I failed miserably - but they enjoyed a good laugh and delighted in taking photos of my attempts!

After some time to chat and laugh, lunch was served. From the picture, you can see we had lamb couscous, fried chicken, salad and potato squares.
Through travels, I've learned that endurance is the game: eat long and slow. This way you can continue to eat long enough to satisfy your host, without actually gorging yourself. Here, however, I ran into a new problem. My hostess (the mother) was not only concerned with endurance, but also with speed and power (gusto). I couldn't eat fast enough for her!! If I took a bite of one dish, that meant I was neglecting another! And my co-eaters kept pushing the meat, olives and vegetables over infront of me - so my "pile" never diminshed.

This thoroughly wore me out and my ever-sensitive hostesses ordered me over to the other side of the room to take a nap - providing me with pillow and blanket. I semi-rested, all the while meeting more women who came and went, and watching women dance and gossip together. They do this daily - taking turns to host the group. One very outgoing women insisted I go to see her house. So we made the expedition, and drank juice and ate chocolates. Next time it's her turn to have me and Jared over. Though he'll be in a different room with the man of the house.
...a long, but wonderful day with new friends. I'll be able to visit them as often as I'm able to - which won't be often enough in their minds!