Monday, July 21, 2008

Hairy Situation II

So I did decide to shave my forearms: they were soft for a few days before they got a bit prickly. And, the regrowth hair isn't as blond. Jared didn't even notice the change. I don't think I'll continue on a regular basis. Perhaps I will do it again the next time I go to a [sleeveless-dress] party. I went to a wedding a few months ago and I forgot about the arm-hair issue. I realized it, to my horror, sitting at the table. Those banquet halls are little up like an operating room so that the ladies can show off their elaborate make-up and sparkly dresses...and it also makes arm hair more noticeable than you ever would have thought. I will admit that I kept my arms beneath the conveniently-high table as much as possible.

Maybe I'll be shamed into more action. Today on TV I saw an ad with a woman shaving her arm! It wasn't actually a shaver, it was some rubber grip contraption that removes the whole hair (ouch!). Women here wax/sugar their arms.

It's not just me though...one night we saw a Gillette commercial which was advertising their masculine razors, and low and behold, the video cut to a silhouetted man shaving in the shower - shaving his arm pit! Jared did a double take and exclaimed, "Was that man shaving his armpit??"

So, fair's fair here - and Jared's got his own hairy cultural investigations to do!