Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Got Henna-ed

It’s an elaborate process, that I found quite enjoyable.

1. Have a big home cooked meal of couscous & lamb (although I already ate lunch before I came since the date was for a non-lunch time, oh well!).
2. Arrange the cushions and recline while I select my favorite sticker-stencils to use for the henna pattern.
3. Chuckle to myself as the women decide I have not, in fact, picked the best designs, and they make the selections for me.
4. Argue as I fight vainly against having my hands henna-ed – I teach adults and don’t want men to see it. The compromise: henna only on the inside of my left hand. Reality: henna on the inside and all over my fingers of my left hand!
5. The women carefully apply the stickers, bordered by medical tape.
6. They mix the henna, a secret concoction of the henna powder and other unknown ingredients – this lady is renown for making the darkest henna around, and she guards her recipe!
7. I enjoy the feeling as they put the cold henna all over my feet and legs, making a thick mask
8. They cover the mask with tissues, then wrap me in giant plastic bags, and cover me with a blanket against the cold of the henna.



9. I lie back to relax and nap as we wait, and I feel chilly.
10. I begin to feel warm as the bags keep in my body heat and humidity.
11. I begin to feel very warm, then hot and I notice condensation forming on the inside of the bags.
12. After two hours the tender skin on my ankles and calves is burning! The women are pleased since thins means the henna will be dark.
13. After three hours I must begin to head home. They women begin to peal off the layers. Out come the dessert spoons as they scrape off the henna mask. While the application was enjoyable, this part was ticklish!



14. They rubbed my new henna with special oil, then olive oil when the henna oil ran out I was instructed to apply more oil, and Vicks Vapor rub, and to avoid water for a day.



The results:





NB: Henna does not smell good and the aroma lingers for quite a while - which is why some women don't henna at all...their husbands don't like the smell.