Saturday, March 5, 2011

Therapy

Sometimes you find help when you least expect it.

Certainly, I can label the past weeks as "traumatic," "emotional," or even "abusive." But, it has been difficult to articulate what exactly transpired in the days leading up to the evacuation. Violence escalated quickly - and horrible rumors were rampant. Sometimes we didn't even know what to believe, but only knew things were getting bad...fast.

After spending a few days with some local friends studying in the UK, I have learned much much more. With the revolution back home in full swing, they are caught up in the real momentum of the events. Each death is personal to them - connected to a family member of extended relation. And in this mood, we talked and talked.

Dozens of stories about their diminishing leader shocked my naively, over-protected Western sensibilities. I heard about inhumane atrocities, and felt the thud of the statements like, "and there was nothing we could do about it..."

Good therapy is not swapping stories of suffering. But, I grew in respect for my friends and their families back home, and perspective hit me in the face. Our evacuation and continual state of limbo are hard to deal with. But forty-plus years of defeat and shame?? I can deal with my situation.