Sunday, May 4, 2008

Babies R’Us

One of my best friends at school had a baby shower – for her newborn sister! Yes, families are very large here, and it’s not abnormal for women to bear upwards of 10 children (usually they’re the older generation, though).

Of course, I went to the big party for the new baby. It was much the same as a wedding party. The venue was a little smaller, but the stage area had the ornate ‘couch’ of honor, flanked by life sized teddy bears and helium balloons – all in pink since the baby is a girl.

The guests all sat at the tables, sipping on the celebratory almond milk and cookies waiting for the family to make the grand entrance. And it was a grand entrance!...the DJ put on some fast paced music and the baby was wheeled down the center isle in a white bassinet, accompanied by the female relatives – all wearing conical pink Barbie Doll party hats. They stopped the bassinet halfway into the crowd of tables so that the women could dance for the baby! A few women at a time came up and shook their stuff in front of the bassinet for her to enjoy! Eventually the baby was taken up the stage and we proceeded to have the full meal – and lots of dancing.

My polite refusals to dance were to no avail – in my honor the DJ put on an ‘English’ song so that I could dance – how thoughtful! Fortunately, my friend and some other girls at our table joined in. When I say dancing, I don’t mean a general dance floor environment. I mean that one or two women showcase their moves at a time in the center of the room. They often tie a sash around their rear to accentuate their skills at moving it. The rest of the guests watch and some clap in time for them. So, there’s no way to be an inconspicuous dancer. Furthermore, as the only foreigner from Europe/The Americas (my friend said I wasn’t the only foreigner since there were was an Egyptian present!), all eyes were on me any time I made a move the whole night – including trips to the bathroom.



I took pictures of the party favors we were given - each of which held chocolates, cookies or baklava.